Posted to alt.home.repair

Default American mailboxes

[snip]

For some reason most people who fit those leave them on the default
settings, which means they detect anything within half a mile,
including on the road, and stay on for only 5 seconds. So if you stand
at the door, they go on and off repeatedly.

It that one detected things on the road it would be useless for
detecting packages on the porch. It wouldn't take more than 5 minutes
before it came on. I'd learn to ignore it after checking the porch every
5 minutes or so.

Sometimes I can tell when the mail comes by sound (vehicle starting and
stopping frequently) but other times I'm busy or out back and miss that.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Knowledge and history are the enemies of religion." -- Napoleon
Bonaparte (1769-1821)