Taadz

Default Hot water heater question

List,

I have a electric ho****er heater that was in the house when I purchased it
in 1998. My neighbor thinks the previous owner installed it in 1989. The
unit
looks and operates fine, except for last weekend. Saturday morning I went to
take a shower and found there wasn't any hot water. I went down and found
the reset button on the upper element needed reset. At this time the
temperature
for the water was at 120.

Since I have never taken the panels off before I assumed this was the
original setting.
I state this because later that night when I went to take a shower the water
was scalding
hot. I had never seen the water coming out of my faucet that hot ever. I
went down and
lowered the temp to 110. The next morning was fine, I went to take a shower
Sunday
night and found no hot water again. I reset the element again and it has
been working
fine ever since.

Because it's been working fine I don't know if my first assessment of
replace the
elements is the only thing I should do? Any insight or direction would be
great.

Thanks..

Tom.