Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Doorway Construction Questions

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 6:56:24 PM UTC-6, John Grossbohlin wrote:

Yeah, John, without citing your recommendations, sizing up the general thoughts, I best not skimp with this remodel. I was hoping to avoid some work..

The drywall isn't a problem... it's the 1/2" ply backing, nailed every 4" or so. I'm getting sick of pulling all these nails (using a Cresent nail puller). It's difficult, for me, working overhead, that way.

On one side of the doorway is a light switch and outlet, which restricts placement of repositioned king stud to 3" further to that side, if I move it at all. On the other side, the doorways's 4X6 king stud can be moved about 5", before butting against the next stud.

My salvaged header is engineered, a cutoff from a previous job. Once I prep for installation, I'll get a nephew to help lift it in place.

This job is for installing these new doors: https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

The double doors that were originally in this doorway will be modified (widened) to be installed on the exterior wall. Presently, this is the door that's on that exterior wall: https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

Sonny