Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] bnwelch@gmail.com is offline

Default Tapping wood threads..

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 4:20:54 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 7:31:07 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 00:16:40 +0000 (UTC)
Larry Blanchard wrote:

I made wooden vise screws (1.5" diameter) and nuts for a workbench
15-20 years ago. It was cheaper than buying a metal vise. I've
since replaced the front vise with a metal one, but the 2 end vises
(lined up with the dogholes) are still in use and working fine.

good example

have seen some real nice vices with wooden threads

the threads used in wood vices are typically a much coarser thread, similar to ACME...If I understand correctly the tapping that is being discussed is national coarse thread, ie 1/2-13, 1/4-20, etc, but please correct me if I am wrong...

and of course, coffee had not kicked in, or I would have corrected the spelling to "vises"