Posted to alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair,alt.satellite.gps
Stijn De Jong Stijn De Jong is offline

Default What can I do with a free GPS receiver with a coax connection?

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 21:52:57 -0800, isw wrote:

The GPS unit will output single-line ASCII "sentences", some of which
will contain very precise location and time info (GPS time, that is).

If you're interested, google on "NMEA 0183" to get a list of the things
it can tell you.

NMEA 0183 is a combined electrical and data specification for communication
between marine electronics such as echo sounder, sonars, anemometer,
gyrocompass, autopilot, GPS receivers and many other types of instruments.
It has been defined by, and is controlled by, the National Marine
Electronics Association.

Can I somehow plug that NMEA-compliant cable into my phone?
Or into my laptop?
Or a desktop?
https://www.fugawi.com/knowledge_base/document/HD25110

The wiring looks like it can maybe go to a DB9 but do laptops even have
DB9s nowadays?
https://www.fugawi.com/knowledge_base/document/HD25700