Posted to comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair
Stijn De Jong Stijn De Jong is offline

Default Which app do you use to scan/debug GSM/CDMA cellular tower signal strength?

Simple question:

Q: Which app do you use on iOS or Android to figure out all the cellular
towers and signal strengths of the cellular signal (CDMA or GSM) in your
area?

Q: Does that app show you *all* the towers that your phone can see
(or does it only show the one tower that your phone is connected to)?

On Android, I am currently testing these GSM/CDMA signal strength apps,
where you can see my actual screenshot results in the photos below.

01 Network Cell Info Lite, version 3.30:
http://i.cubeupload.com/HoKTav.jpg
http://wilysis.com/networkcellinfo
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.cellinfolite

02 Network Signal Info, version 3.63.01:
http://i.cubeupload.com/2zK8Ys.jpg
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...android.telnet

03 GSM Signal Monitoring, version 4.02:
http://i.cubeupload.com/V9O0Gg.jpg
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...almonitorin g

04 Netmonitor, version 1.2.15:
http://i.cubeupload.com/TfDJaS.jpg
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ene.netmonitor

05 CellID Info:, version 1.2.2:
http://i.cubeupload.com/X3gsfb.jpg
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ere.cellidinfo

06 RF Toolbox (Cell Monitor), version 2.26:
http://i.cubeupload.com/y2YfEV.jpg
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...apps.rftoolbox

07 WiGle WiFi Wardriving (which also reports cellular towers):
http://i.cubeupload.com/ZPva3O.jpg
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.wigleandroid

08. OpenSignal, version 5.10:
http://i.cubeupload.com/BwfSFa.jpg
https://opensignal.com/app/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...se3.opensignal
etc.

On iOs, I looked for similar apps, and found this:

01 OpenSignal, version 4.0.5 (but it doesn't seem to report the nearby
tower and signal strength):
http://i.cubeupload.com/rmPsVg.jpg
https://itunes.apple.com/app/opensignal/id598298030

The one bad thing is that all these apps only show one cellular tower, even
though I know I have *two* microtowers inside my house, so, I think I need
to find a better app which will show *all* the cellular towers it sees.

To that end, I ask this scientific debugging question: