Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Tapping wood threads..

On 2/14/2017 9:04 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
The Testing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA-CmUvIsjg

I thought that test was interesting, and clever, but it may not tell you
all you need to know.

After I saw one of the Woodsperer's videos about tapping wood, I decided
to give it a try. I had a set of Sixties-era taps that were my Dad's.

If I remember correctly, I did my own test, tapping a 1/4"x20 thread in
some oak and then hitting the bolt with a hammer, and even a hand
sledge. It was remarkable how strong it was. Armed with that
information, I used some tapped holes in a jig I made. Now the jig was
poplar, but it was fully an inch thick, and wouldn't be required to hold
with extreme force.

I found though that after I had tightened and loosened the jig a bunch
of times, the bolt felt looser in the threads. I think I could have
stripped them if I tightened the bolt to my usual "tighter than
necessary" degree.

I think I'll still make use of some wood threads from time to time, but
if the application is going to require frequent loosening and
tightening, I'll use another method.

---