Posted to rec.woodworking
Markem[_2_] Markem[_2_] is offline

Default Not looking good for the Bosch Reaxx TS

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 16:59:42 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 11:38:35 -0600, Markem
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 17:13:59 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/13/2017 10:14 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 2/12/2017 1:27 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
GM recalled my truck for the tailgate straps that could (but didn't)
rust. No problem with ABS brake failure, or brake lines rusting out,
but sure wouldn't want tailgate to drop 6 inches. How is it I have
stainless steel exhaust but break lines on every GM product I've owned
have rusted out?

Contrary to popular belief, stainless steel
corrodes under the right circumstances. If you
want it to last you have to keep it pretty
clean.

Not true with my exhaust system. The stainless steel exhaust has never
once been cleaned and it is now 16+ years old, and in the rust belt.
Surely GM could have used the same stuff in the brake lines, which is
magnitudes more important than the exhaust system as far as safety goes.

So you never go through a car wash?

In the south a good many car washes do not hit the bottom of the
vehicle, only the wheels/wheel wells and the body.

But the old exhaust systems rusted from within. Lot's of nasty crap
coming from inside the exhaust including condensation that mixes to form
some concoction. Remember the sulfur smell that was very common with GM
vehicles equipped with catalytic converters in the 70's? These systems
rusted out quickly and then the stainless steel exhaust systems began
showing up and the problem has virtually gone away down here.
The old steel exhaust systems looked fine on the outside but with just a
little pressure with a pair of channel locks and you could easily crush
and put a hole in the pipe.

The catalytic converters, are not different from the ones use to make
sulphuric acid, so we eliminate CO, and make acid that eats metal.

No.
Since sulphur has been removed from motor fuel there is no sulphuric
or sulphurous acid produced by current catalytic converter equipped
vehicles, and even standard steel exhausts now outlast the best
systems of 25 years ago - while stainless steel systems should be
virtually life-time systems. (My GM TranSport had well over half a
million KM on the factory system, and it would have likely gone
another 500,000km if the vehicle could have kept up to it.
My current 21 year old Ford Ranger is at 350,000km and the exhaust is
like new, hear in the central Ontario salt-bowl.

I have seen no requirement that sulphur be removed from gasoline in
the US, what requirements are up north in Canada I can not speak to.
But unless you remove all the sulphur you still will get sulphuric
acid.