Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Wood filler recommendation for exterior use

On 2/15/2017 1:40 AM, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 8:02:49 PM UTC-6, Doug wrote:
dadiOH,

Thank you for the reply. I want to take the opportunioty to Thank
You agian for the recommendations, guidance, and confidence you
provided regarding refinishing my mahagony front door with Z Spar
Flagship varnish. That was the best, most valuable input I have
ever recevied for a home improvement project. The door still looks
great almost 4 years later although a touch here and there may be
beneficial.

Doug

"dadiOH" wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
Need to fill a split in an exterior board - what brand(s) of
wood filler perform well in this application after priming and
painting?

Thanks.

Doug

Splits can be iffy. I wouldn't use any rigid filler, I'd use a
caulk, then prime and paint.

Doug -

You will rarely, if ever, see dadiOH give bad advice. I do all manner
of repair and finishing for a living and have to say his advice is
usually spot on.

As was his thoughts on splits; wood moves on its own based on temps.
Hard fillers aren't the ticket as they have no elasticity, and if the
wood moves the patch material separates from the perimeter of the
patch from repeated movement.

Epoxies, resins and their cousins are fine for interior use as you
are usually repairing a piece that is acclimated to inside humidity
from AC/furnace controls, so humidity doesn't fluctuate wildly. Nor
do the temps. Most of the time they aren't your optimal choice for
exterior use.

Again, as he said, your best bet for splits, cracks wind shake, is a
good caulk. To do all my repair sealing, I use the ALEX 40 year with
silicone that is available at the home stores. It hold paint very
well, has great adhesion, shrinks only a tiny bit, tools well and has
something like 10% elasticity when cured.

Robert

Coming in late here but Butyl, printable, caulk remains very flexible
for years on end and fills gaps pretty nicely. It is kinda messy though.