Posted to alt.home.repair
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default American mailboxes

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 11:48:51 -0000, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 10:51:29 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 02:30:58 -0000, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I was just watching an American film and thought, "Why don't kids steal
everyone's mail?" In the UK, most people have the mailbox INSIDE the
house (or simply a letterbox opening in the front door). Surely kids
are tempted to nick American mail, especially as it's right on the street.

Probably just because they see what's in their mailboxes and
social pressure.
It is common in parts of rural Nebraska to have several mailboxes
grouped on
their own posts. It will be up to the ranchers to get their mail from
there.
There isn't delivery to individual houses.
There might also be a post there with signs pointing to the
individual ranches.
Each sign would be a single board cut to make an arrow. It might say
something
like Too Poor Ranch 12 miles.

What happens if you get a parcel delivered that's quite large?

I have a mailbox at the street. I've never (as far as I know) had
mail stolen from it.

If I get a package that's too big for the mailbox, the carrier leaves
it on the porch. I don't live in a crime-ridden hive, as apparently
you do. The houses on my street are generally about 40 meters apart,
although some are more like 80 meters. It would be a lot of legwork
for kids to come around messing with mailboxes (which is a federal
offense worth up to a $5000 fine and/or 5 years in prison--although I
doubt they'd sentence dumb kids to more than a token penalty).

Not much crime here, but kids are kids.

--
Q: What's the difference between an Irish funeral and an Irish wedding?
A: One less drunk.