Posted to alt.home.repair
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default American mailboxes

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 04:49:45 -0000, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 10:10:36 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 10:53:23 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 01:35:24 -0000, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Are you saying people don't check their mail boxes if it's at the
end of their driveway but perhaps once a week where you live?

In the UK, people sometimes (only 1 in 100) have boxes attached to the outside of their house (not at the street), just to avoid stuff being put into the house (because the dog might eat it). They often forget to check it (as would I if I had one), because the mail doesn't appear inside your home on the carpet so you notice it, you actually have to remember to keep checking the box.

1 - How do you know that these 1 in 100 people "often" forget to check their mail? Do you
know them all? Do they publish their forgetfulness in the local paper?

It does kinda silly and made up, doesn't it? I'd venture a guess
that most people get some sort of mail each day. That might be
junk mail, a letter, catalog, or a bill. He's trying to make us
believe that everybody that doesn't get their mail through a slot
in the door has Alzhiemers and completely forget to check their
outside mail boxes.

Most people do not bother checking mail every day if it's in a box. But if it's flopped into your hallway, you'll see it.

2 - How stupid would one have to be to see a mailbox on the outside of their house and
forget to check it? And *often* forget to check it? Now that's really stupid.

Yep! Not too bright when it comes to getting their mail, are they?

Why bother checking it every day if you don't get important mail every day?

We've had a mailbox on the outside of our house for over 35 years. We check it every day
except for Sunday. It's really not that hard to remember. See if you can understand this
process:

Step 1: See Mailbox
Step 2: Think: "Did you check for mail today?"
Step 3: If no, check it. If yes, don't bother.

My house is 90 years old and so are the surrounding houses.
Every single one has a mail box on the outside, just a step
or two outside the front door. It ain't rocket science to
remember to check to see if you have mail that day.

It's unnecessary. My letters appear inside my house, I see them if they're there. I don't have to go outside, unlock the box, and check to find just junk mail.

--
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day. Teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks, months, maybe years.