Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default American mailboxes

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 05:57:36 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

the post office wants to move to a big neighborhood box.
each home gets its own locked box, as part of a large group of boxes.
this saves tons of time for the carrier,'
i suppose residents could pay to get their mail at their door.
my dad in phoenix gets his mail this way. he is near 90 and enjoys
taking his handicap scooter to the central mailbox....
there are some big boxes for oversized stuff, the carrier puts a key
to the over sized box in the recipents usual box.
dad seems satisfied

This is what Canada Post is moving toward -
over much crying and protest from the folks who think
that mail delivery to their door is a constitutional right.
.... it doesn't help when they install the "super malibox"
in a poor location - as was the case with some much-publicized
early efforts.
I have personally seen one case of rural mail theft - I found a
bunch of mail in the ditch - torn open - it was an Amish farm family
- I suspect that the thief was looking for cash or cheques ?
John T.