Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Wood filler recommendation for exterior use

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 1:30:29 AM UTC-5, Doug wrote:
Thank you for the DuraGlas recommendation. Did you use Fiberglass backing when repairing
the window sill? Was there any shrinkage / reduction in volume after the material was
fully cured? What did you topcoat with - primer and paint or the materials recommended in
the data sheet?

Thanks again!

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 8:31:39 PM UTC-5, Doug wrote:
Need to fill a split in an exterior board - what brand(s) of wood filler perform well in
this application after priming and painting?

Thanks.

Doug

DuraGlas

Typically available anywhere Bondo is sold.

I used it to repair a rotted window sill. It's going on ten years which includes 10 rust belt winters.
Still holding strong.

http://uschem.com/index.cfm?page=productDetail&id=52

http://www.uschem.com/products/docs/TDS_Duraglas1.pdf

I did not use fiberglass. I slightly overfilled the voids with the DuraGlas, just like you would
with Bondo or dry wall mud and then sanded it smooth. Primed with exterior primer, painted
with exterior paint.

Because of the fiberglass in the product it's a lot harder to sand than wood, Bondo, drywall mud,
etc.

You also might want to gouge the split or undercut it to give the DuraGlas something to
hold onto. Give it some "teeth" to lock it in.