Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default American mailboxes

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 10:53:23 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 01:35:24 -0000, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 7:25:03 PM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 01:07:55 -0000, Frank "frank wrote:

There are mailboxes on doors here too but single family homes on larger
lots will have their mailbox outside on the street. Mail-carriers drive
vehicles with steering wheels on the right (since we drive on the right,
normal are on the left) and drop off mail without leaving vehicle.

Yes I can see it being more efficient for the mail people, although bloody inconvenient for the home owners (people who have them here to stop dogs eating the letters never remember to check them and get letters a week late). And my original point, doesn't mail get stolen?

No one forced the home owner to buy a house that the mail box is
at the end of their driveway. Mail does get stolen on occasion
but not that often.

Are you saying people don't check their mail boxes if it's at the
end of their driveway but perhaps once a week where you live?

In the UK, people sometimes (only 1 in 100) have boxes attached to the outside of their house (not at the street), just to avoid stuff being put into the house (because the dog might eat it). They often forget to check it (as would I if I had one), because the mail doesn't appear inside your home on the carpet so you notice it, you actually have to remember to keep checking the box.

1 - How do you know that these 1 in 100 people "often" forget to check their mail? Do you
know them all? Do they publish their forgetfulness in the local paper?

2 - How stupid would one have to be to see a mailbox on the outside of their house and
forget to check it? And *often* forget to check it? Now that's really stupid.

We've had a mailbox on the outside of our house for over 35 years. We check it every day
except for Sunday. It's really not that hard to remember. See if you can understand this
process:

Step 1: See Mailbox
Step 2: Think: "Did you check for mail today?"
Step 3: If no, check it. If yes, don't bother.