Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default VOIP System: Often when I call out and called party picks up, I get busy signal.

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I think he meneans that the bt landline infrastructure of charging calls
and use of their old wired telephone system is not in play, its over the
same lines as the internet, if that be bt, but not the charging. The snag
is that they rush you line rental anyway, but at least the call charges
are separate.
Unfortunately as I said before in this thread, the dialling of numbers
over services like Voonage etc, seems to be less robust than a directly
connected telephone system. I know this is I'd used it for some time but
had to get off due to wrong numbers and the inability of a tone dialling
memory pad when used on the microphone which worked 100 percent on the
virgin telephone connect3ed directly.

There were also distortion compression and echo delay issues that made it
almost unusable.

So Voip is a nice idea, but seldom seems robust enough.

Mine works fine. Yes, dialling reliability isnt quite a good as
with the POTS service. I do get something like 5% of calls
where nothing happens when you dial out, just silence.

One other quirk is that mine is much more fussy about the
number dialled. So when you have called a number which
has a menu system, you can't just redial with the menu
numbers included, it whines about it being an invalid number.

"Davey" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 09:50:16 +0000
tony sayer wrote:

No frickin BT involvement:-)

If you use Voip over ADSL, or even FTTC, then you are using your BT
wires or fibre. If you have TalkTalk or Zen or phonesRus as your phone
supplier, then you are using the same BT wires. So why does Voip mean
'no fricking BT involvement'?
Only by using a non-BT system, such as Virgin, would this be possible.

If I'm wrong, please explain.

--
Davey.