Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Progress Report Office Library

On 2/13/2017 6:33 AM, G. Ross wrote:
Leon wrote:
The file cabinet carcasses are out of the clamps.
I mentioned earlier that I was trying something different on these
cabinets. When I put more than one drawer, on top of each other, in a
cabinet I typically use rail to separate the openings and that rail is
typically 3/4" thick and about 1.5" deep. I typically notch both ends
of the rail to fit between and behind the face frames stiles.
I have always used scrap plywood to jack each up on both ends for proper
height placement, I move the scraps up each time. Then a single screw
on the back side into the back of the face frames to keep them in place.
They essentially do not carry weight so much as fill the gap between
the drawers.

It came to me to go a different more elegant route to achieve perfect
and accurate spacing for these rails.

I always cut 3/4" dado's and groves to lock the bottom into the sides,
sides and bottom into the bottom rail of the front and back face frames
and the side stiles of the front and back face frames. this adds
considerable strength to the carcass with no mechanical fasteners.

Anyway while cutting the bottom dados in the plywood side panels to
receive the bottoms I cut additional dados at the locations that the
drawer mid rails would be located. I use those dados to perfectly index
the rails.

Back Face frame attached to carcass

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

The additional indexing dados for the mid rails.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

The mid rail perfectly indexed into the side dado and notched to fit the
face frame stile. Ready for the single screw to hold it into position
on each end.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Comments?

That looks as sturdy as a tank.

Thank you , that was what i was going for.