Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Outside light query

On 2/10/2017 8:42 PM, wrote:
On Friday, 10 February 2017 20:26:23 UTC, newshound wrote:
On 2/10/2017 10:15 AM, GB wrote:
We have an outside light - an oblong plastic thingy - in a rather
exposed position. I opened it up to change the bulb, and there was some
water inside. What's the best way to stop this?

I thought of putting a couple of drain holes in the bottom, but that
seems too bodgy even for me.

I'd go with the holes (I have done this myself, in the past). An
interesting philosophical question, when does a sound, pragmatic DIY fix
become a bodge?

A repair that is effective, reliable, safe, works ok & looks ok is good. Anything that fails those is a bodge.

NT

I can see some circumstances where adding a "drain hole" might cause an
enclosure to fail the IP "knitting needle" test. That said, my view is
that anyone who tries to poke a knitting needle through a hole in an
electrical enclosure probably deserves to be zapped. Which is why we are
in philosophy territory: what constitutes "safe"?