Posted to rec.woodworking

Default do you want firmware in your hardware

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

No Kidding, I think if there was a firmware update for my Bosch Laser
measure I would want to update it, and certainly for my SawStop. And
my Calculated Industries fraction calculator on my iPhone. Maybe even
my electronic TiltBox angle measure, Calipers etc.

The rule of thumb with firmware used to be "if it doesn't fix a problem
you have or have a feature you want, don't upgrade it." It was just too
risky, but with the culture of "kick it out the door, it's got upgradable
firmware" I guess that's all changed.

I miss the "don't upgrade unless you have to" way of doing things. It
made for a better product, IMO. It also left you stuck if things didn't
work out, but that didn't seem to happen too often.

Puckdropper