Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Impossible to undo pcb screws, never had this one before

In sci.electronics.repair, on Tue, 7 Feb 2017 21:12:57 -0000,
"Benderthe.evilrobot" wrote:

"N_Cook" wrote in message
news
I suspect they deliberately used non-matching threads,ie cross-threaded,
despite disassembly ideograph of a screw on the pcb overlay and red
nail-varnish anti-shake lock.
Even 2 minutes of soldering iron tip on the head will not free the locking
.
And of course buried deep in the case surrounded by all sorts, that block
access, to grind flat blade slots in the screw heads or pairs of flats for
mole-grips etc.

Might be worth reading the; "Best Philips screwdriver" thread.

Could be the crosspoint in the screw head is too shallow for the pointy end
of your screwdriver and the cross blades are only part engaging.

Screws can be tight, and a poor fit screwdriver will ruin the head.

Unless there's an overhead obstruction, you should be able to seat a drill
bit in the crosspoint recess and drill the head off. Removing the threaded
bit with only the thickness of the PCB to get hold of might be fun.

Use a reversible drill and left-handed drill bits. then theres a
pretty good chance you'll unscrew the screw before you get done
drilling. So you only have to replace the screw. Otherwise, you can
glue it back together later.

Also, there is another kind of screwhead/screwdriver in with crossed
slots, other than Philips. It's supposed to eliminate the need for
more than one size of such a screwdriver. I don't know any place these
scdrews are used by maybe you found one.

(Yes, I read the thread and know you finished this one but for next
time.)

If you haven't chewed the heads up too much, drilling down with a pilot
drill smaller than the thread core diameter might allow you to turn it with
a regular Philips screwdriver. Or you could graze the pointy end of the
screwdriver a little with a grinder.