Posted to rec.woodworking

Default when are safety features unsafe

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

That reminds of the old paradox about walking halfway across a room,
then walking halfway again, and then walking halfway again. Logic
tells us that I will never reach the other side.

So what happens if I jump from a height? At some point I'll be halfway
down. Some time later I'll be halfway down from *that* point, then
halfway down from *that* point, etc.

Sounds to me like I'll never hit the ground.

Cold welding blows that completly out of the water. You take two
surfaces that are so smooth that they join together and never are
released. To get there, you could keep on refining the surface so it's
all within a thou, then a tenth, then a tenth of a tenth and so on.
Eventually you hit that point and bam! welded.

Puckdropper