Posted to alt.home.repair
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default [FoxNews]A small town's sudden power surge fried tech gear inhundreds of homes

On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 16:24:16 -0000, westom wrote:

On Thursday, February 9, 2017 at 6:43:06 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
They tell me that function is only available on the higher voltage transformers. The final stepdowns are manual only.

Correct. Explains why the utility can only regulate to within 10%. And also why larger variations result in that one transformer cutting off power to all those local transformers. If that one higher voltage transformer does not maintain voltage variations, then a circuit that feeds local transformers is modified so that voltage varies by less than 10% at every time.

If voltage gets too high or too low, then power is cut off to avert damage to consumers appliances.

Doesn't make sense to me. If power usage is very high on one of the final transformers, it needs to be able to adjust its stepping to maintain the correct voltage. Or do they assume all areas' usage changes together?

--
If god is so amazing, why did the dinosaurs die out?