Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Not looking good for the Bosch Reaxx TS

On 2/10/2017 8:44 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article P5KdnQygW5wVXwDFnZ2dnUU7-
, lcb11211@swbelldotnet
says...

On 2/10/2017 4:52 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/9/2017 10:05 PM,
wrote:
On Thursday, February 9, 2017 at 2:50:59 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:
On 2/9/2017 2:35 PM,
wrote:

The issue is not Gass making money. The issue is Gass'
rent-seeking.

Not sure what "rent-seeking" means.

noun 1. the fact or practice of manipulating public policy or
economic conditions as a strategy for increasing profits. "cronyism
and rent-seeking have become an integral part of the way our
biggest companies do business" adjective

I can understand the manipulating public policy. Public policy
meaning government rules and regulations and laws. Lobbyists do
this. Not sure what economic conditions anyone can manipulate.

Gass wanted Congress to pass a law that every tablesaw should have a
safety device (his). Certainly would have helped his economic condition.

Absolutely and an absolute dream come true for every entrepreneur or
business owner, CEO ect.

What businesses fit this mold? Who has lobbied the government to have
an on going advantage?

Insurance companies.
All Energy providing companies.
TV entertainment providers.
Communication providers.
The automobile industry.
The building industry.
The food industry.
The medical industry...
The entertainment industry
The recycling industry.

So which of these have succesfully lobbied for
"If you purchase something of this kind it
_must_ have this expensive feature"?

Think about it.

Can you own and drive an automobile with out having liability insurance?
That is state law in Texas. The insurance industry was instrumental
in getting that law.

TV entertainment providers. Cable has long had government in their
pockets to protect their interests and prevent competition. In Texas, I
suspect else where, if you subscribe to cable TV you only have one
choice. No other cable providers can compete.

If you want a model, it wouldn't be any of
those, it would be the airbag industry.

The air bag industry as we all commonly know it is the automotive
industry. Now back up cameras have or will shortly become mandatory on
new vehicles.

Mr. Gass is no different except he is the
little guy that has come up
with a great product and is successful.

And he would have been more successful if he had
just made his product and sold it without all
the legal shenanigans before he started making
it. Personally I will never, ever buy a Sawstop
product not because of any concerns about the
Sawstop but because I refuse to put a penny in
that asshole's pocket.

That is your choice. An emotional one but all the same, your choice.

I'm sure there are
others who feel the same.

Yes there are.