Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Outside light query

On 10/02/2017 10:15, GB wrote:
We have an outside light - an oblong plastic thingy - in a rather
exposed position. I opened it up to change the bulb, and there was some
water inside. What's the best way to stop this?

I thought of putting a couple of drain holes in the bottom, but that
seems too bodgy even for me.

That's actually fairly normal practice - a 3mm hole at a low point...

The two parts of the lamp push together with a flange, but there's no
rubber seal between them. Is there any simple way of making a seal that
will still allow me too open the lamp again to change the bulb?

Get a tube of silicone grease from CPC. That will help seal, but does
not set or prevent you pulling it apart later.

It looks similar to this one:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-anti-v...ack-240v/31250

But that one is waterproof!

or change the fitting for a waterproof one (although even waterproof
ones may still leak a bit)

--
Cheers,

John.