Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default VOIP System: Often when I call out and called party picks up, I get busy signal.

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice scribeth thus
On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 09:49:58 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Don't get me started on Voip. The bandwidth and compression often is so
bad ...

Not conflating mobiles with VOIP are you? Mobiles go from bad to
unuseable with excessive delay. Our VOIP has minimal delay (and I
suspect most of that is our interleaved ADSL), Bandwidth more than a
POTS line and no "donald duck" compression artifacts.

No bother here Dave, in fact call quality on 4G via Vodafone is very
good indeed..

... a tone dialer never works via a microphone any more.

I've not tried it, VOIP signals keypad presses outside the voice
channel for "press 1 for..." menu systems.

Until these companies do things so it sounds as good as a normal line
they can stuff it.

Our VOIP is better than a call carried over the POTS line used to
carry the VOIP... 3 ish miles of twisted pair takes it's toll on
analogue signals. Compared to VOIP a POTS call is lower level, lower
bandwidth, with some added noise/hum and sometimes dialing pulses.

--
Tony Sayer