Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default [FoxNews]A small town's sudden power surge fried tech gear in hundreds of homes

trader_4
Thu, 09
Feb 2017 17:38:16 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Thursday, February 9, 2017 at 10:15:52 AM UTC-5, James
Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2017 14:53:02 -0000, westom
wrote:

On Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at 5:18:18 PM UTC-5, James
Wilkinson Sword wrote:
I can't believe it's that likely for 4800V to get onto a 240V
line. Possible, but so rare it's not worth bothering to
install protection. I protect against little spikes, or
voltages about 30V under/over what they should be.

30 volts and higher is already solved inside each appliance.
Why would anyone spend money to protect from something that
does not even cause damage? That is already made irrelevant by
what already must exist inside every appliance?

Might do in quality appliances, but not cheap ones, or LED
lightbulbs.

Even cheap appliances have MOVs for small surges and will tolerate
the
~ 12% overvoltages you're talking about. I don't have much
experience
with LEDs, but see no reason why they can't tolerate your 12% over
voltage for seconds. If all these things were as sensitive as you
claim, we'd see a lot of failures. I sure don't.

Neither have I. I've taken apart a few that have had driver circuit
failures (The LED itself was still good and can be repurposed for
other projects), while I found the driver circuitry to be on the
cheap side, they did have MOVs present. It seems to be mostly a heat
issue with the ones I've taken apart that kills them. IE: excess heat
buildup in the bottom of the bulb where the components live without a
reliable way to pull the heat away. The electronics essentially wind
up cooking themselves over time. The ones I've taken apart so far
aren't using actual transformers to drop the voltage, they opted for
the resistor pack route instead; which generates that much more heat,
with no place to go in a sealed LED bulb. Saves on physical weight,
etc, because it's not using a transformer, but, the tradeoff I don't
think is the better option.

I won't claim all of them are done this way, as obviously, I haven't
taken apart every single make/model LED screw in replacement bulb out
there. But, several from GE and whoever actually makes Walmarts off
brand are not using voltage reducing transformers. And, you can tell
where the components are getting the warmest on the little circuit
boards inside them...

--
Sarcasm, because beating the living **** out of deserving people is
illegal.