Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default MCB trips as soon as a water heating coil is used.

On 09/02/2017 11:19, Bob Minchin wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 09/02/2017 09:10, wrote:

presently there is an C6 MCB can I replace it to 16 to resolve this
problem

What kind of water heating coil are we talking about?

(A 6A MCB sounds rather low for most heating circuits - that would limit
the heater power to about 1300W - however you can only substitute a
higher trip current MCB if the cable size is large enough to remain
protected)

One has to wonder why a type C is being used instead of the more usual
type B for domestic circuits?

I normally spec a type C for lighting circuits since it makes them less
likely to trip on a filament lamp failure IME. Not really any downside
in doing so as long as you make sure the ELI at the furthest part of the
circuit is less than 3.64 Ohms[1].

[1]
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...Loop_Impedance

--