Posted to alt.home.repair
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default [FoxNews]A small town's sudden power surge fried tech gear inhundreds of homes

On Thu, 09 Feb 2017 00:47:15 -0000, trader_4 wrote:

On Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at 6:51:01 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword

I'm not so sure underground is more expensive.

That's OK, the power companies know that it is.

Well they must do it for a reason here.

It tends to stay there and not get blown or knocked down. I used to live in a remote area where the primaries were above ground. They often got blown down or knocked over by bulls in a field.

If power line primaries are getting knocked over by bulls,
obviously you're doing something very wrong over there.

No taming the bulls?

Primary here is 11,000V.

I protect against little spikes, or voltages about 30V under/over what they should be.

Which is something virtually all modern electronics and components
don't need to be protected against. Power supplies will take that
range of over voltage and they all have MOVs to protect against short
spikes that are hundreds of volts or more.

Not LED lightbulbs, they're too cheap to have that protection. And my computer is not protected against 5 second outages. The system shuts off and corrupts the hard disk.

You said "spikes" of 30 volts.

No, I said spikes AND voltages up to 30 over. I often get a constant voltage far above the nominal 230V.

That's rare here, at least where I've lived.

It was here too. The previous transformer was 240V +/- 1. The new one is anything from 245V to 255V. It's supposed to be 230V.

A spike is not a 5 sec outage. A PC
would never even notice a 30V spike. And while a surge protector
can protect against spikes of thousands of volts, a surge protector
is not going to guard against a 5 sec power outage.

My UPS does, it has batteries which will last half an hour. If that half hour approaches, it instructs the PC to shut down gracefully.

--
god said:

"The Divergence of the B Field = 0
The Curl of the E Field + the partial time derivative of the B field = 0
The Divergence of the D field = the charge density
The Curl of the H field - the partial time derivative of the D field = the current density"

and there was light, and he saw that it was good and of constant speed.

Maxwell was one of the greats from the UK that forever changed the world.

Agreed.

--
Say it with flowers - send her a triffid.