Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Building houses that can withstand any tornadoes?

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 17:43:41 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

Is it possible?

Absolutely. We already can see that with the current building code in
Florida. Granted we are only building for winds in the 140-180 MPH
(F3) range but when you compare the results to places like NY/NJ in
Sandy (a strong tropical storm) you can see the difference. The other
posters suggestion of a dome is an excellent example. If it is built
in a dome form with the structure of an upside down swimming pool
(concrete and steel) a tornado will not faze it.
You could use the same techniques for a more conventional home and get
wind protections up in the F3 range.
The problem may be esthetics and cost. A Florida 150 MPH house might
cost ~30% more than a house built where they do not have a wind code
(for the basic shell).