Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono
Benderthe.evilrobot Benderthe.evilrobot is offline

Default Why should someone replace ALL the capacitors on old Tube equipment?

wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Feb 2017 19:14:06 -0000, "Benderthe.evilrobot"
wrote:

I know the dry 'lytics were better, I have to ask what came before these
wet ones with the vent hole? I really dont know...

When I was a kid, I liked taking old radios to bits. A mains reservoir
electrolytic I "autopsied" had a centre electrode that was sort of like a
curvy column (for maximum surface area) up the middle, the can was the
other
electrode, it was completely filled with electrolyte. Another old radio
had
a compartment under the one that housed the chassis, it contained a huge
slab flat wound paper capacitor - it must've weighed at least 7lb.

That sort of thing I never encountered. That must have been REALLY old!
Most of the stuff I worked on, was mid 40s thru 60s. I had a few of
those old wooden radios that stood about 40" tall and had a round top.
Those were some of the harder ones I tried to work on, and the tubes
were unusual. I know those were the ones that had those wet caps with
the top vent hole. I also recall that the speaker magnet was an
electro-magnet and was also used as a choke for the power supply. Those
were some of the oldest things I worked on.

AFAICR: the one with the paper reservoir cap was a regen.