Posted to alt.home.repair
cowabunga dude cowabunga dude is offline

Default Not huckleberries but how to peel boiled chestnuts at home?

Danny wrote:
On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 09:49:37 -0500, Frank wrote:
You are cooking way too long. Only a few minutes needed.

I wonder if that's why the skin is so tough to remove?
X top before
cooking and peel while hot and skin easily comes off.

Just to confirm which is the "top", I consider the flat heart-shaped part
the "bottom", so the top would be the dome. Is that what you X? The dome?
I do mine in the
microwave for a few minutes and only a dozen at a time because skin
sticks after getting cold.

My microwave has been broken for so many years, I forgot to mention that it
doesn't exist. It's a built-in black 1350Watt Jenn-Air M170B, which seems
to have strange dimensions of 21-3/4 by 13 by 16 inches.
I'll freeze shelled nuts which will keep for
maybe a year. Great in stuffing for turkey. I also make chestnut soup.

Hmmmmm... Freeze? It works? You don't lose the taste?
That's nice to know, considering they are seasonal, like huckleberries are.
Also fun to roast in fireplace for slight smokiness and important to
slit first particularly with fireplace and microwave as steam can
explode nut.

The wonderful Christmas song always comes to mind!

If your microwave just quit working, with no symptoms to indicate another reason, take the case off and check the fuse.