Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono
Benderthe.evilrobot Benderthe.evilrobot is offline

Default Why should someone replace ALL the capacitors on old Tube equipment?

wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 22:05:48 -0000, "Benderthe.evilrobot"
wrote:

True. But the reason to replace them ALL is that if you only replace
the
one(s) causing a problem, another will fail later, then another still
later. It is much easier to do them all at once than to have to repair
the same unit over and over as they fail one after another. Been there,
done that.

So have I.

I can totally understand what you are saying. However, I am not so sure
about whether I would want to replace all of them in certain parts of a
radio or tv. Here are my thoughts on this.

Lets take my Hallicrafters SX-99 (which I paid for but dont have yet).
That radio is 62 years old. (made in 1955). The seller said it works
fine, (and I was sent a video of it working. I did detect a very slight
hum. (But the video's audio is not the greatest).

The whole thread is based on a bit of a generalisation - you have to apply a
bit of common sense.

Generally; coupling and decoupling caps close to tubes that run hot are good
candidates.

Caps that may affect tuned circuits tend to be close to small signal tubes
that run much cooler.