Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

Default Why should someone replace ALL the capacitors on old Tube equipment?

On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 08:56:42 -0600, Foxs Mercantile
wrote:

However, this is a working radio. I ask myself if I really want to
replace all the other (small) caps. [Then I say to myself.... if it
works, dont fix it].

To quote a good friend of mine, "There are only two kinds of paper
dielectric capacitors. Those that are bad, and those that are going
to be bad."

Everything will fail some time in the future..... It dont matter what it
is. But will it be tomorrow, or 100 years from now?
So, somtime in the future, every paper cap, as well as every modern cap
is going to fail. But at my age, I only have to think 2 or maybe 3
decades at most into the future. After that, it's someone else's
problem.