Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Nuclear energy production costs

On 04/02/17 15:23, tim... wrote:

news
On 03/02/17 22:25, Peter Parry wrote:
On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 20:15:20 GMT, lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

I know the energy densities of the fuels are massive compared to
fossil but need some help in countering the argument, with facts.

Try htps://www.withouthotair.com/about.html

The definitive book on the subject and not a drop of greenwash.

Good on energy density but doesn't account for the capital costs

These are roughly - or should be - around Β£3m /MW with a 15%
decommissioning surcharge.

O&M is probably around 7% per annum on that, and lifetime is 50 years.

You can find info about our Nucs here (yes TNP I know you know, it's for
everybody else)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclea...United_Kingdom

I didn't click on them all but of all the ones I did click on, none were
in operation for more than 40 years

that 20% difference has to be critical when amortizing such mega capital
costs

Fairly sure some AGRs are over 40 yrs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster...rating_Station

is set to do 50 years

New nuclear shouldl do even more, now teh ageing proicesses are well
understood

tim

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell