Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default My New Bosch Miter Saw Is Defective. :-(

On Saturday, February 4, 2017 at 10:28:58 AM UTC-5, Brewster wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Some of you may recall that I recently bought a Bosch CM10GD miter saw on
Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-CM10GD-.../dp/B00G5R4E9A

I spent some quality time with it this weekend and it looks like it is
defective. I called Bosch tech support this morning and when I described
the problem, he said to return it and get a new one.

Here's the issue:

http://i.imgur.com/sGJYoVf.jpg

That photo makes me wonder if there is end play in the arbor/shaft such
that under power the arbor/shaft and blade move away from the motor and
then as the blade comes to a rest they move back towards the motor.

I wonder this based on prior experience...

I had the same issue with a non-sliding 12" CMS. Ended up being the
motor brake (which turns the motor into a generator/load when the switch
is released). This (and many other) saws use helical cut gears to
transfer motor power to the blade. The change in torque direction when
the motor brake gets applied was causing the blade drive gear to shift
slightly. I added a thin shim (0.003") to the gear shaft, tightening it
up in its housing. Problem eliminated!

Basically came down to bad assembly/setup at the factory.

-BR

I'm not sure that your situation applies to mine. The Bosch CM10GD saw is
belt driven. There is no direct geared connection between the motor and the
blade.

I guess it's possible that the gear at the motor could shift, pull the belt,
which would pull the gear at the blade which could move the blade. That's a
lot of loose parts and I sure hope that isn't the case.

My Dewalt non-slider has the gear you mention - i.e. the motor is
directly connect to the blade (more or less)

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/...T9-/s-l225.jpg