Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default My New Bosch Miter Saw Is Defective. :-(

"Brewster" wrote in message news
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

http://i.imgur.com/sGJYoVf.jpg

That photo makes me wonder if there is end play in the arbor/shaft such
that under power the arbor/shaft and blade move away from the motor and

then as the blade comes to a rest they move back towards the motor.

I wonder this based on prior experience...

I had the same issue with a non-sliding 12" CMS. Ended up being the motor
brake (which turns the motor into a generator/load when the switch is
released). This (and many other) saws use helical cut gears to transfer
motor power to the blade. The change in torque direction when the motor
brake gets applied was causing the blade drive gear to shift slightly. I
added a thin shim (0.003") to the gear shaft, tightening it up in its
housing. Problem eliminated!

Basically came down to bad assembly/setup at the factory.

I was kind of surprised that no one else had detected what I had... until
now.

I wonder what the end play spec is during assembly? Were there any end play
shims in evidence when you installed your shim?

John