Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Not huckleberries but how to peel boiled chestnuts at home?

On 2/3/2017 11:51 PM, Danny D. wrote:
How best to peel boiled chestnuts?
http://i.cubeupload.com/U4hV1d.jpg

The grandkids love boiled chestnuts, so I boil them for about 45 minutes,
but for the life of me, I can't "easily" get that darn peel & underlying
skin off.

Is there a better trick than what I'm doing now, which is to use a utility
knife to scratch an X on the flat underside of the hard peel, and then
attempt to peel the shell (and underlying skin) off while it's still soft
after boiling?

That X process seems to leave too much of that skin still on the nut?

You are cooking way too long. Only a few minutes needed. X top before
cooking and peel while hot and skin easily comes off. I do mine in the
microwave for a few minutes and only a dozen at a time because skin
sticks after getting cold. I'll freeze shelled nuts which will keep for
maybe a year. Great in stuffing for turkey. I also make chestnut soup.

Also fun to roast in fireplace for slight smokiness and important to
slit first particularly with fireplace and microwave as steam can
explode nut.