Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Nuclear energy production costs

On 03/02/17 22:25, Peter Parry wrote:
On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 20:15:20 GMT, lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

I know the energy densities of the fuels are massive compared to
fossil but need some help in countering the argument, with facts.

Try htps://www.withouthotair.com/about.html

The definitive book on the subject and not a drop of greenwash.

Good on energy density but doesn't account for the capital costs

These are roughly - or should be - around £3m /MW with a 15%
decommissioning surcharge.

O&M is probably around 7% per annum on that, and lifetime is 50 years.

Fuel costs are around a ha'penny a unit. Fabricated. Uranium costs are
way less than that.

Final electricity costs are dominated by capital costs and the cost of
that capital.

The rise in interest rates during Thatchers govt was what put paid to
any more nukes. Gas is capital cheap and the gas was free...under the
sea. Just cost of extraction to add on top..

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)