Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Right to repair

.."The problem is that anything to do with the emission control system has to
be certified to not alter the emissions of the car. Hmmm, maybe won't
matter a lot on a 30 year old car (if it even HAD a computer).
But, making after market replacement parts for any part of the emissions
system has to go through a lot more than somebody making a wiper motor or a
fender. "

Many 30 year old cars had computers. They were basic, just controlled fuel mixture and ignition timing. Actually, after studying them a bit I find that it almost doesn't matter how many cylinders there are except for idle speed. Later one fire the injectors in pairs or possibly single at a time in which case you need a cam pulse to know what cylinder you're on. Generally a ring counter and a PWM can do the ignition, and the old TBFI doesn't care. When the MPFI came out it mattered and it matters in those cars that have direct cylinder injection.

The newer ones with the transmission controlled electronically present a new challenge but it can always be turned into and "auto-stick" where you shift but it is done with hydraulic valves. One of the problems with that is the newer transmissions are too cheap and frequently lack a one way clutch for the lower forward speeds, this means that downshifing must be done at the right RPM or there is a big objectionable clunk.

But it can be done. What can't be done with any realistic expectations is to drive a plasma panel, or even an LCD panel. Someone could rig up a backlight if that happens to fail and doesn't send the thing into knip****s and subsequent shutdown. (to protect you from the mercury of course, in their lead free product)

In any event, in the end the manufacturers win, unless we speak with the loudest voices possible. It takes some balls and staying out of debt. You go tell the John Deere dealer you will not be buying as new unrepairable item and since your old item is not repairable your crop will rot. Also mention that their founder would likely be rolling over in his grave. And then, we take every Tektroix scope that runs Windows and then it crashed and is no longer supported and take it to Oregon and throw it through the biggest piece of plate glass on their building. Take your ****ing junk back. This is not a smartphone, get it ? I am not a 14 year old who needs the latest technology, and BTW, get off your slimey skinflint asses and build us a CRO again.. At least one model. Either non-sampling or can be switched to non-sampling. I want to slow down the sweep and see the green dot go across the screen.. that is what scopes do.

I, for one, am sick of this ****.

Know what Trump can do ? Somehow make it so when something is not repairable due to parts cost or non-0availability of parts or information, the company must take it back and pay for environmentally proper disposal.

Through the nose. Oh there's mercury in there, twenty bucks. Nickel in that stainless steel ? Ten bucks, add that **** up until it is more than what the thing cost new.

I hope Trump starts drinking vodka with Putin and grows a pair. **** you that you bestow your factory and or dealerships on the US, you PAY for the privilege to do business here, you got it fleagle ? You don't like our taxes you go peddle your junk in ****ing Indonesia or some **** because you are banned from this market. We will make our own.

no factories here, no stores here. real simple like that, or can be refined.. Keep your junk. And BTW, that wheat you feed your hogs to sell that fat laden pork to USians and make us sick ? It has just doubled in price, and there is now a tariff on hog bellies that will make speculators run for the bathroom.

You wanna see hoe to fix the economy ? Well it takes someone ab0ut twice as radical as Trump. and he ****ed off Australia. Know what ? I sat there earlier trying to give a **** less but I just could not do it. They are totally irrelevant.