Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Right to repair

John Robertson wrote:

If there is sufficient demand then some bright person will MAKE a
replacement computer for the 30 year old machine. In my industry
(pinball and other coin-op games) there are multiple suppliers of
circuit boards and computers for pinball games as far back as the early
70s. I am working on a replacement PCB for a 1975 motherboard that used
three 6530s (Rockwell) with a FPGA.

The problem is that anything to do with the emission control system has to
be certified to not alter the emissions of the car. Hmmm, maybe won't
matter a lot on a 30 year old car (if it even HAD a computer).
But, making after market replacement parts for any part of the emissions
system has to go through a lot more than somebody making a wiper motor or a
fender.

Jon