Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Recall / Free Upgrade Kit

On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 17:28:45 -0600, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 2/2/2017 12:12 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 07:15:03 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 10:40:54 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 09:45:22 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

On Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 4:26:43 PM UTC-4, kimosabe
wrote:
This is old news for some guys. Sears will send you a free
upgrade kit.
the new news is they are no longer sending a kit, instead you
make the saw worthless by sending parts to the company and they
will send you $100. Then you can buy a new one for $800, in
otherwards you have been screwed.

I got mine six or eight years ago and it's still in the box.
;-) Some day I'll put the RAS back together.

Do you want to sell it?

I had mine for over ten years and it's still in its box, too, but I
don't think I'd sell it without the RAS.

Hmmmmmmmmm! There was the option of sending in the motor yoke (and
motor?) in a prepaid shipper and getting $100 back IIRC. Might try
going back to the well, so to speak, perhaps with a different name and
see if you can take advantage of Option B.

Fraud? For a hundred bucks? No thanks.

Then you'd have a kit available to sell.

Face it, RAS popularity is definitely waned. If it's working good, you
could probably get $100 to $125 for it without the modification. If you
modified it you could probably get the same $100 to $125. Sell the kit
for $75 and make some money. Just sayin'

It was working well the last time I used it (some time before '93 ;-).

My model was one that they NEVER made a kit for. My only option was to
sell them the yoke for $100 and dispose of the rest of the saw. Screw
that! It was and is a good solid saw that never gave me any problems
once I tuned it up. I can rip a 10' 1x or 2x using a good Freud rip
blade and come away with an edge that appears to have been run through a
jointer.

If you used the anti-kickback devices on the original as intended and
know what you're doing you'll have no problems. This whole thing comes
about with the government and lawyers (as usual) looking to design
safety devices to accommodate morons at the expense of the rest of us.

I launched a spear once, after the cut but the worst was when I had it
come after me when cross-cuting, twice. Didn't much like that. I
feel much safer with the table saw. It does a much better job, too.

When I am king!