Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ohger1s@gmail.com is offline

Default Right to repair

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 7:45:07 PM UTC-5, John Robertson wrote:
On 2017/02/02 3:06 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 11:47:27 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 2:11:07 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
This might be of interest. A farmers group is leading a movement to
require manufacturers to supply service information, parts, etc.

I think it will ultimately die out. It's a great idea, but manufacturers will say it's a safety issue or a proprietary issue.

So? Let 'em document a safety issue. Iindustrial safety is NOT a closed-book issue,
it's a matter of public interest.
Sponsor a reverse-engineering session on any proprietary technology (and
publish everything). Customers, unlike employees, are not barred from disclosure.

No current production line can replicate a 30-year-old engine computer.

I would disagree with your last statement.

If there is sufficient demand then some bright person will MAKE a
replacement computer for the 30 year old machine. In my industry
(pinball and other coin-op games) there are multiple suppliers of
circuit boards and computers for pinball games as far back as the early
70s. I am working on a replacement PCB for a 1975 motherboard that used
three 6530s (Rockwell) with a FPGA.

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com

If anything, it might be easier to emulate an early car computer than anything, assuming the plan is functionality not originality. The bigger problem would be the relatively low tech coil and solenoid drivers.