Andy Hall

Default Are room thermostats out of fashion?

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:41:58 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Yes, but it's a recommendation, not a requirement.

But most "building regulations" are recommendations. If you don't follow the
recommendation, you have to prove your alternative is just as good.

Mine does exactly that, and modulates the pump.

In which case, the systems within the boiler provide sufficient interlock
and the boiler is directly compliant with Approved Document L1 without
further external controls.

Right, and all of this is easy for manufacturers to implement at low
cost.

Not really. My point was that there are much more substantial savings
that can be made by using modulating and condensing technology than
can be saved by this corner case.

However, it becomes much more than a corner case if you can't rely on the
user to turn the system off during warm weather/over summer. Didn't someone
suggest around 700W to keep a typical primary circuit warm?

At 80 degrees possibly, but at 40?

At 16 hours a
day on the timer from May to October, that's around 2000kWh over summer,
completely wasted. Over winter, the savings are much less, as the primary
circuit will need to be warm for at least half the time, but savings are
more likely to occur, as people will probably turn off the heating over
summer, if they can work out the controls.

Part L1 also discusses having some low energy lights, but it can't
make the householder use them.

This part of L1 is totally ridiculous. I only use low energy bulbs, but
refuse to install the ugly and expensive fittings that are mandated. A more
reasonable solution to the low energy bulb fitting problem is to allow
normal pendent fittings, but put a ten pound tax on each incandescent light
bulb, to ensure they retail at considerably more than the cost of a proper
bulb. The bulbs should also come with a health warning on the side, saying
that you are causing irreparable and needless damage to the environment.

I don't think that that would fly somehow. Until the appearance and
colour temperature of these can be made to match tungsten lighting or
at least be in the area, and be dimmable people, I don't think that
they will become that popular.

I don't mind having fluorescent lamps in a workshop or even for
outside lights but not for living areas. They are too cold.

Christian.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl