Posted to alt.home.repair
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default New faucet - reduced flow

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 19:42:58 -0600, wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 19:55:12 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Lavatory faucets are 1.5 gpm. Kitchen faucets are 2.2 gpm. Not a big
deal rinsing dishes, but PITA filling a big pot. At least some use the
aerator to restrict. I don't know how easily they can be modified though.

A lot of them aerators have a plasric thing that looks like a washer.
Has a hole about 1/8" in it. Just remove that piece and reinstall the
aerator. Or drill the hole bigger in it.

I noticed in the parts list that there are two part numbers for an O-Ring and Screen Washer Kit (1.5 gpm and 2.2 gpm).
There are also two part numbers for the Pull-Out Wand (1.5 gpm and 2.2 gpm).

I removed the O-Ring and Screen Washer and tested results and the difference was approximately what it would be from
1.5 to 2.2 gpm. No change was made to the Pull-Out Wand. I wonder if I got a 1.5 gpm version.

Damn tree huggers.

Also, when you change a faucet, or work on any plumbing, pieces of
teflon tape, chunks of rust and whatever else is in the pipes will end
up in the screen on those aerators. Remove the aerator, run the water
at fill pressure for a minute, to flush out the pipes. Clean the
aerator, and reinstall it. ALWAYS do this when you work on plumbing, for
ALL faucets that may be affected.

If you get good pressure without the aerator, you can always buy a
replacement aerator without all the water saving crap. But try the other
things (above) first.