Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Straightening Music Wire

wrote in message
On Thursday, December 16, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Bob Johnson wrote:
I have a need to straighten lengths of .047" music wire cut
from a spool for a project I am working on. While looking
across the web for a solution I came across a "leader
staightening tool" from Du-Bro, they claim the tool will
straighten solid wire fishing leaders. It would seem that
this might work on the music wire, but since I qualify
myself as neither a fisherman or skilled machinist the
questions are -

Will this tool do what I want (guess someone will have to be
a machinist/fisherman to answer)? If you want to see a
picture it can be found at
http://www.wolfffishing.com/wfp/dubprowirstr.html

and if not,

is there an alternative method or trick to making the wire
near straight?

Regards,

Bob Johnson

Bob,

Music wire is a little stronger than tie wire, but if its only .047 you
might be able to straighten it simpley by clamping one end in a vise and
pulling on the other end with a pair of Vise Grips. I did exactly that in
this video with .041 stainless tie wire. I've found its easier to do with a
longer piece of wire, than a short piece. In the video clip I do about ten
feet at a time. I pull until I feel it give slightly.
https://youtu.be/QIvEmwWr6o0?t=3m36s The wire stretching starts at 3:36. I
think I have the link set to start there.

Bob