Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_11_] Graham.[_11_] is offline

Default Plumber!!!!

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 07:55:54 -0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Graham. writes:
On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 13:43:43 -0000 (UTC),

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article 2,
DerbyBorn writes:

I tend to think of "possession of PTFE Tape as implying some sort of
aptitude for plumbing."

Inappropriate use of PTFE is also a good indiocation of a cluesless plumber.

I believe the get-out is, "I applied PTFE to the threads as a
lubricant, not a sealant".

...and that's fine, but not when it's applied to the sealing
surfaces of compression fittings or cone joints.

My parents' [then] new ensuite plumbing started leaking ~6 months
after installation. All I had to do was take apart and remove the
PTFE from the sealing faces of the compression fittings (I was
lucky - once used, it will often deform the sealing faces so they
won't seal again, without bodging it with more PTFE).

I used PTFE tape stretched like string in place of a fibre washer on a
tank connector. It worked so well that I actually felt more confident
about it than had it been the correct fibre washer.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%