Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Win 7 or XP?

On 01/29/2017 06:22 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 17:12:42 -0600, philo wrote:

And just to be clear, this was not the RedHat nightmare from the 90s (I
tried that too though). My last and final linux try was about 3 years
ago. I tried at least a dozen POPULAR distros, several computers, and
there is not one good thing I can say about linux.

I would like an alternative to Windows too, but linux is NOT the answer.
I dont like the direction Windows has gone. I liked Windows 98, XP and
although I dont own a Win7 machine, I have played with it and know I
could get used to it. I want nothing to do with Win 8.x or 10.

I can only hope, or wish that MS would wise up and support more than
theor latest bloatware, because soem of us like a simpler OS and/or dont
want to keep buy new computers when our older ones still work fine.

-OR-

Someone would create an entirely new OS that's compatible with Windows
software.

But I know that is only a dream, and MS will keep creating their bloated
crap, which does the same thing as their olders OS, with 10X more
complexity and problems, and needing 10x more hardware power.

Then again, I'm old, so I probably wont have to ever use their latest
crap. I do just fine with XP and possibly will one day I get something
with Win7.

Basically I just use which ever OS that will do the job best for what my
project is.

Probably 80% of what I do can be done fine from Linux but if I need to
use a Windows only app, I do not hesitate to turn on my Windows machine.

Last year I finally got around to scanning all my negatives and slides
and the Windows software that came with my scanner did the best possible
job so I used my Windows machine for several months.

I even have a Mac which occasionally comes in handy

I re-loaded the OS on my wife's old iPhone and if I want a spare
internet device I've now got one