Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Win 7 or XP?

Roger Blake
Sun, 29 Jan 2017
22:45:04 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 2017-01-29, Diesel wrote:
internet content? Which codecs and/or protocols specifically are
you writing about that are not available/not supported under XP?

Some sites don't work well in older browsers. The only current one
I know of that still works with XP is Mozilla Firefox.

I've been happy with firefox for years, I haven't checked to see what
if any other browsers may still work under XP that are still being
updated.

A lot of newer hardware and software is not supported on XP.

I don't dispute that in the least bit. I wasn't able to effectively
plug a new verizon tablet into this machine the other day. The Windows
7 box and the linux boxs had no trouble with it. Hell, linux didn't
even ask to find a driver. lol

So it depends on your needs. FWIW, if I were a Windows user making
this choice I would go with Win7 mainly due to it being currently
supported. The user interface is not all that much different from
XP, the really nasty crap started with Windows 8. (Even that can
be tamed to an extent if you use a 3rd-party program like Classic
Shell.)

Agreed.

--
Sarcasm, because beating the living **** out of deserving people is