Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Win 7 or XP?

rbowman
Mon, 30 Jan 2017 02:02:32 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 01/29/2017 02:19 PM, Diesel wrote:
Otherwise, it's lazy programmers who just don't want to deal with
XP users anymore. In fact, some actually had to add more code to
detect XP vs another NT based OS and refuse to run if it's
detected. Not because XP couldn't run the code mind you, but,
because the author decided they didn't want their program running
on XP anymore.

Speaking as a programmer, we tell our clients that if they want to
run XP, so far our software will run on it but there are no
guarantees that will be the case with new releases.

I understand. At some point, you'll make changes to your codebase
that are no longer compatible with XP. Hopefully the new feature or
way of doing something justifies going that route.

The problem comes with having to test an entire software suite
with an OS that even the manufacturer doesn't support. The Android
products are the same. We're not going to lock ourselves into six
year old code just because a few people still have 2.3 devices. I
do a special build so I can run on my old 4.0.4 tablet and it more
or less works. However we can't ship something more or less.

I understand that pov. I also understand the pov from the other side
of the fence. Take, banking systems for example. The underlying code
base that runs the show is decades older than myself. The interfaces
have been modernized, but, the mainframe is still it's old self. It's
people still manage to support it and ensure whatever new web based
'updates' they roll out for clients/atm machines still talk to it as
needed.

It just depends on what the code is doing/being used for as to you're
willingness to support it for xxx amount of time. Some projects
aren't so easy to port, I'm sure you've been down that road yourself.

--
Sarcasm, because beating the living **** out of deserving people is
illegal.