Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Win 7 or XP?

trader_4
Sun, 29
Jan 2017 23:09:06 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 5:56:50 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 14:17:33 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 4:53:02 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 13:14:57 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

I don't know that you can say that nothing goes to the cloud.
Search queries using Edge for example? You can't stop the
cloud from seeing what you want to search for, and maybe not
from using it for their own purposes either. But if you mean
your typical saved word files, excel stuff, that doesn't
automatically go to the cloud on Win 10, AFAIK anyway.

I only have one question. Lets say someone buys a computer
with Win10, and only buys it to run office software, or they
design graphics, or use it to operate a DJ music service, etc.
and does NOT connect it to the internet at all.

Nothing can go to a cloud, MS cant spy on anyone, etc. Will
Win10 even function without an internet connection?

From everything I've seen, yes. You may have to connect once
when you set it up, to validate, register your copy of Windows.
But I've had a Win 10 machine that was not connected to the
internet for 6 months and it was still working fine, no
warning messages or anything. Could it have something in
there that will complain to be connected after a year, 5 years,
seems unlikely, but I don't know. Seems unlikely, because I
think it would cause more problems for MSFT with no benefit.

When I installed XP on the computer (which is not connected to
the internet), I just phoned MS to get the validation code. But
Win10 may be different.... (Seems like it would be a major pain
to have to pay for a months ISP service just to validate it (this
is a desktop, not a laptop that could be taken to a WIFI).

Then again, correct me if I'm wrong, since I have never bought a
new computer from a store (or anywhere else). But lets say I went
to Walmart and bought a new computer with Win10 already
installed. Isn't all the validation done at the factory, so when
I take it out of the box, it's ready to be used without me having
to do anything except plug it in and connect the keybd, mouse and
monitor cords?

I would think it would be ready to go right out of the box, but I
am only guessing....

That level of detail, IDK. Certainly they will work out of the
box, without any internet connection at least for some period of
time. But is the software license registered, validated when the
OEM puts it on the machine?

Yes. I described the process for XP. Windows 7+ isn't that much
different in that respect. It's keyed to an ID string.

have it? IDK? Somehow MSFT has a database of the license, what
machine it's on and a set of info about that machine.

Ehm, not exactly. they have a vendor ID string and a contract with
said vendor. On preactivated copies of Windows running on a name
brand machine, it's keyed to an ID string. They don't keep track of
each make/model in that setup, no.

OTH, If you buy a copy of Windows 7+ and activate it yourself, then,
it will have some information about your hardware as that's used in
the activation process. I do not know if MS actually keeps the
information or not, though.

That's so if I try to take it off my machine and put it on another
machine, MSFT knows the hardware has changed and wants to
revalidate it.

Not exactly. See above. If the vendor ID string is the same on the
other machine, you won't have an activation issue. It'll already be
activated for your convenience. If the vendor ID string no longer
matches, you'll be going through verification, yes.

I know if you put a new copy on a machine it wants to register it
with MSFT, but will delay that, let it continue to work for maybe
a month or so? Question is, a new PC, is that part already done
at the factory or not?

That depends on whether or not the new copy is retail/oem or
'branded/keyed'. You can technically use the same dvd and create
whatever flavor of the aforementioned you need by swapping a few
files out, but.. I digress.

It's been a few years since I bought a new PC, so whatever
went on, I don't remember anymore.

If you bought the PC new and it came with Windows, you most likely
(if it's a name brand box) didn't have to do any activation dance.
It was ready to go when you fired it up. If it's a custom built
clone, it's been preactivated for you, but, since the OS isn't keyed
to the hardware in the name brand way, you can cause the product
activation routines to trip. IE: move your copy of Windows to another
machine. Or, make what it deems are too many hardware changes.

--
Sarcasm, because beating the living **** out of deserving people is
illegal.