Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Win 7 or XP?

rbowman
Mon, 30 Jan 2017 01:34:14 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 01/29/2017 02:19 PM, Diesel wrote:
Why forget XP? Is it security concerns or lack of upcoming
software/driver support? If the latter, I can understand your
position, if the former, I'd say you've been drinking a lot of
scare mongering MS based koolaid. XP hasn't magically opened the
barn door and let all the horses out just because MS no longer
supports it.

If you're running XP and it does what you want there is no problem
with it. I still have an XP machine at work that is one of my
build boxes.

The majority of my workstations have been converted to linux, but, a
few are still Windows based. I do have a Windows 7 and Windows 10
machine on the network, but, neither of them are vlk like. Whereas
the XP machines are. That's important to me. The XP machines are
still doing what I ask of them, but, I realize should one suffer
major hardware failure I likely won't be able to have all the new
components in a new system running under XP. It's possible thanks to
a couple of large driver database packages, but, not guaranteed.

BUT a lot of software will no longer install on it if you need a
new version for any reason. 32-bit machines are becoming
problematic regardless of the OS. The last 32-bit Chrome version
was released a while back. It works as well as it ever did but
it's also the end of the line.

I don't disagree.

--
Sarcasm, because beating the living **** out of deserving people is